Sunday 25 March 2012

Lentils with chorizo and red wine - yummy!!

On Saturday evening, as planned, we had lentils with chorizo and red wine for dinner.  I have to say that it totally surpassed any expectations that I had.  My husband confessed to me after we had finished that when he saw it in the pan prior to being served he was a bit concerned about eating it, but that he loved it and would like to add it to our regular list of dinners.  Proof that looks can indeed be deceptive!! 
As per the recipe suggestion I served mine with plenty of crusty bread which we used to mop up the juices.  As the kids had gone to bed, we decided to finish the bottle of wine we used with the meal. 

I added more liquid than is stated in the recipe as I felt my lentils were not soft enough by the time the liquid had reduced.  I poured in a bit more water, but I think if I make it again I will simply add an extra 100mls of stock.  If it doesn't all reduce that won't be a problem as the juice is delicious mopped up with the bread.

I had no fresh thyme in so I didn't add it.  If I had thought at the time I would have added a little dried thyme, but I wasn't really thinking.

The other difference I made was totally accidental.  I had my parsley prepared in advance...and forgot to add it!  My husband went into the kitchen with the bowls when we had finished and shouted that he could really taste the parsley in the dish.  Cheeky git!!  Anyway, if you do not have any parsley then don't worry about it as I can assure you that the meal still tastes delicious.  Next time I will be adding parsley though as it is one of my favourite ingredients, which I guess just goes to show how tasty the dish was that I was so wrapped up in eating it that I hadn't noticed that I left the parsley out!

COST - it is hard for me to work out the cost of this one as I had the chorizo, garlic and lentils in.  I had to buy wine, onion, leek and the parsley which I accidentally omitted.  I think it is safe to say that the recipe is well under €5 though, but I think the cost depends a lot on the wine you buy.

Lentils with chorizo & red wine

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Am just after finding your blog and already am hooked :)
    Looking forward to trying out your recipes..they sound fab
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lilybelle. Thanks for your kind comments. Just had a look at your blog and am following it now. Would you believe I only just signed up to a crochet class during the week there. I used to do it when I was younger and decided to give it a go again, so will be watching your blog with interest.

    ReplyDelete