Monday 2 July 2012

Summer-in-winter chicken

Last week I made the summer-in-winter chicken as part of my menu plan for the week, took photos of the dish and didn't get a chance to write up about it so am doing it now.  This recipe was an ideal one for making on a busy evening after work.  There was minimum prep work involved - in fact I think the only prep work was to wash the tomatoes and cut them in half.  The rest of the recipe basically involved adding ingredients to a pan and leaving it to cook.  My kind of recipe!!

Personally I thought it was very tasty.  My mum and dad, who also had it, loved it.  My husband was not as fussed on it as the rest of us were though.  He basically said it was nice enough, that he'd eat it again if it was set in front of him, but that he wouldn't be begging me to make it.  I think I will make it again, but perhaps when he is away with work or something as I don't like the thought of him eating something that he isn't dying about.


In my menu plan I indicated that I was going to serve this with olive oil baked potatoes but I decided to serve it with rice instead as it was quicker.  I used half-fat crème fraîche as the recipe suggests to lower the fat content.

Alterations
As I made if for extra adults, I used 5 chicken breasts instead of the suggested 4.  I doubled up on the amount of pesto, crème fraîche, tomatoes and basil I used as my mum likes a lot of sauce with her dinner and I wanted to make sure that there was enough to go around. 

Cost
I am not able to work out the cost of this one as my mum supplied most of the ingredients and couldn't recall what exactly she paid for them.  Sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment