Monday 17 December 2012

Menu plan 16th December 2012 - 21st December 2012

As I get older I frequently find myself wondering where the time has gone.  It's not different today when I look at my last post - where has the time gone?  I am sure that, like me, all of you are up to your eyes in Christmas preparations.  I decided to take a break from the wrapping and writing cards to type up my menu plan for this week. 

So, my menu plan from the 16th December to the 21st December 2012 is as follows:-
Sunday dinner - Salmon, baby potatoes and broccoli
Monday dinner - Roast ham, potatoes and veg
Tuesday dinner - Leftover roast ham
Wednesday dinner -  Leftover chorizo and peppers with pasta (from freezer)
Thursday dinner -  Roast chicken, baby potatoes, tomatoes and red onion
Friday dinner -  Chicken wraps

Lunches will be ham sandwiches, ham and lentil soup and scrambled eggs (for me one of the days as I need to use them up). 

I realise that some of you may be wondering why on earth we are having a roast ham dinner two nights this week when we will be having roast ham with our Christmas dinner next week.  Well, this is because slippers of ham were on special offer in my local butcher for the past while.  They cure their own ham for Christmas, so have been preparing it for the last few weeks.  As result they have lots of off cuts of ham for sale at the special price of €5.  I bought two the first weekend they were on offer and put one in the freezer and used one for the Sunday dinner that weekend.  I was pleasantly surprised by how many meals I managed to get from my ham - we had roast ham dinner two nights, I made ham and lentil soup for lunches (stock for the soup came from boiling the ham before roasting it for 30 mins) and my husband had a few ham sandwiches as well (I'd like to say that these were for lunch, but they were in front of the TV one evening).  So, in order to clear a bit more space in my freezer we are having ham again tonight and tomorrow night.  There isn't any chance of us getting sick of ham before Christmas as we don't have roast ham very often in this house, despite the fact that we all love it. 

We are having leftovers two nights this week.  This will save valuable time that I will need in order to get ready for Christmas as well as saving money. 

No comments:

Post a Comment