Sunday 1 April 2012

A change of plans..and a cake.

The weather was quite good today so instead of the planned chicken with mushrooms and red wine sauce we ended up having a barbeque. 

As well as having an impromptu barbeque, my daughter and I made the Chocolate brownie cake from the March 2007 issue of Goodfood magazine.  It was really easy to make and didn't take too long in the oven.  However, when I was lifting it out of the oven it was very wobbly.  After searching the Internet I decided that perhaps that was the way it was supposed to be.  I left it to cool while we ate our dinner and then served it with ice cream.  It was very heavy and stodgy.  The outside was quite crisp while the inside was very gooey.  The cake had risen about the edges of the cake tin in the oven (despite me using a 22 cm tin instead of the specified 20 cm tin) but after cooling it had sunk right back down to the bottom of the tin.  I am not really a fan of heavy chocolate cakes or desserts in general so I doubt I will make this again.  Even my daughter wasn't fussed on it.

As well as having a barbeque and making a cake, we also got a bit of planting done today.  We have 6 strawberry plants in the garden already that we planted last year, but I bought a few runners to plant up when my daughter was disappointed by the lack of strawberries from the 6 plants last year.  She helped me to put 8 runners in pots.  I'll leave them in the pots for a few weeks before planting them out. 

We also got two beds ready for sowing potatoes.  In total I planted 5 types of potatoes.  I have put my early potatoes - Duke of York's - in a bed that I will ultimately be putting my beans in.  They will be gone by the time I am planting out my beans.  The other potatoes we planted were Maris Pipers, King Edwards, Charlotte and Kerr's pinks.  Our first potatoes will be ready in 11 weeks - in the middle of June.  From then on, anytime I am making dinner that requires potatoes I will use some from the garden, saving a little money on my food shopping bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment