Sunday 5 February 2012

Chunky chicken and ham chowder


Our dinner tonight made use of some of the food we had in our freezer.  At Christmas, the ham we got was very large (I had to get the butcher to cut it in half so that I could cook it!) and we had quite a bit leftover.  So I sliced it and froze it to use in dinners early in 2012.  I decided to use some of the ham this week, but didn't fancy having a dinner of meat, veg and potatoes both nights that I am having ham, so opted to make the chunky chicken and ham chowder from February 2006 issue of Goodfood dinner tonight.

TIP - Although the fat content of this meal is low to begin with, it is possible to lower it further by using fry lite spray in place of the olive oil and by using skimmed milk.

I found this recipe really quick and easy to make.  As well as being very tasty, it was extremely filling so is suitable for an evening meal.  The recipe on the website suggests swapping the chicken and ham for some fish which I may do some time I make it in the future.  It is an ideal recipe to keep in mind for any day that we have a roast ham as I can make it using some leftover ham for dinner the next day.

I made it earlier in the day for dinner later one.  This worked out well, although I did find it necessary to add a bit of water as it becomes extremely thick when standing.

Chunky chicken & ham chowder
For me one of the best things about this chowder was the fact that I was able to give it to the baby as well without making an alterations.  I just mashed the veg and finely chopped the meat before giving it to him.  He really enjoyed it and actually ended up having some from his dads bowl as well!!

COST - As I already had the ham leftover it is difficult to work out the exact cost for this recipe.  The leeks were €1.32, the potatoes were 50 cent, the milk as 80 cent, the chicken was €2 and the peas and sweetcorn were about 60 cent.  So, excluding the cost of the ham, this recipe was €4.62 for 4 servings (I have counted the baby and toddler serving as one, plus serving for lunch earlier in the day when I made it).

To be honest, I found that there was a lot of meat in it and I think that the next time I make it I will use one chicken breast instead of two, which will lower the cost a bit.  I also think it would be possible to add some extra veg to it and make it last for a second night or lunches the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment