Friday 27 April 2012

Grocery shopping - menu planner for 28/4/2012 to 4/5/2012

So, it's Friday night and it's time to sort out my meal plan for the next week and write my grocery shopping list ready for my trip to get the groceries tomorrow.  Is it sad that I actually enjoy doing this on a Friday night...possibly, but I'm not afraid to admit that I enjoy having a trawl of recipe books and magazines on a Friday night and putting together a meal plan for the week.

Anyway, I digress!  My menu plan for the 28th April to the 4th May is as follows:-

Saturday dinner - Marinated lamb steaks with barley salad
Sunday dinner - Irish Coddled pork with cider
Monday dinner - Very quick chicken stew (I am planning on making this with chicken breasts)
Tuesday dinner - Leftovers from Mondays dinner
Wednesday dinner - Sticky gammon steaks with steamed greens and rice
Thursday dinner - Black pudding and colcannon
Friday dinner - Sticky pan-roasted sausages with grapes and leftover colcannon

For lunches we will have ham sandwiches, quinoa tabbouleh and scrambled eggs.

Shopping list for the week:-
  1. Chicken breasts (usually 10 for 10 at my local butchers)
  2. Gammon steaks x 2
  3. Lamb steaks x 2
  4. Smoked bacon
  5. Black pudding
  6. Good quality pork sausages (my butcher does some thick sausages that will be suitable)
  7. Potatoes
  8. Pak Choi
  9. Shallots
  10. Scallions (spring onions)
  11. Cucumber
  12. Red chilli
  13. Parsley
  14. Carrots
  15. Swede (29c in Dunnes according to their website)
  16. Cabbage (29c in Dunnes according to their website)
  17. Baby potatoes
  18. Grapes
  19. Oranges
  20. Apples
  21. Bananas
  22. Pears (29c in Dunnes according to their website)
  23. Mint
  24. Red onion (39c for 1 kg in Lidl)
  25. Frozen broad beans
  26. Eggs
  27. Ham
  28. Full fat milk - 2 litre
  29. Skimmed milk - 3 litres
  30. Bread
  31. Yoghurt's
  32. Cheese
  33. Rice Krispies (to make rice krispie buns with the remaining Easter eggs!)
Hmmm...starving now after putting that together. 

TIP - I have to confess that I often find more recipes to try than there are days in my menu planner and often find it difficult choosing between them.  To help me decide I look at the ingredients to work out which recipes I have a few of the ingredients in for already which will make my grocery shop for the week a bit cheaper.  Then I look at the time it takes to prepare and cook to work out if it is feasible for me to attempt to make the recipe mid-week when time is of the essence!  By doing both these things I usually manage to narrow down the list, but if I don't I'll make a note of the recipe for another week.

No comments:

Post a Comment