Tuesday 19 June 2012

Chorizo chicken

On Saturday night past, I made chorizo chicken for our dinner.  The recipe appeared in the September 2008 issue of GoodFood magazine.  The recipe in the magazine includes chilli wedges, but they are made from sweet potato which my husband really doesn't like.  So, I served my chorizo chicken with some oven chips and a bit of side salad. 

I decided to make the chorizo chicken as it has been on my 'to make' list for a while now and Dunnes had an offer on a selection of Spanish meats which included Chorizo slices, so I bought them specifically to make this recipe.

Unfortunately I made a bit of an error on Saturday morning and forgot to lift some chicken breasts out of the freezer.  By the time I realised my butcher had closed, so I had to nip up to Superquinn to get some chicken there.  Superquinn's free range chicken is on offer at the moment, so it actually worked out cheaper to by two free range chicken breasts than their non-free range chicken breasts, but they were still expensive. 

The chorizo chicken was fairly simple and easy to make.  I had it and the oven chips in the oven at the same time.  Unfortunately the bits of chorizo that weren't touching the chicken ended up getting a bit overdone (read burnt!!), so take care to make sure that your chorizo is tucked tightly to your chicken.

If I am honest this didn't turn out quite as I expected.  The chorizo chicken was not as spicy as I expected, however it was really moist and tender.  I think if I was to make it again I'd make chilli wedges to go with it, but with potatoes instead of sweet potatoes, to add a bit more spice to the meal.  In saying that, there are a lot of other dishes that I would make again ahead of this one. 

Cost
As I said, the chicken breasts I got were quite expensive - they were €4.02.  The chorizo slices were about 80 cent, the chips were about €1 and I've estimated that the salad I served was also about €1 (the salad consisted of lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, scallions, olive oil and sherry vinegar).  The total cost was €6.82. 

If I had used the chicken breasts that I get from my local butcher then the cost of the meal would have been €4.82 which is much more reasonable.  If I make it in the future I'll take care to remember to lift the chicken out of the freezer if I need to!!

No comments:

Post a Comment