Friday 15 June 2012

Summer pea pasta

Like many parents, when feeling unwell I still have to make dinner for my kids regardless of how I'm feeling.  So on Monday night I wanted something quick to make so that I didn't have to stand at the cooker for long.  Also, given that I wasn't feeling very well, I didn't want something creamy or heavy to eat.  I found this recipe for summer pea pasta in the August 2010 issue of the Goodfood magazine and thought it would make an ideal meal for my family. 

This recipe was really handy for me to make as I had all the ingredients in the house except the basil and chilli which are available in my local green grocers, so I didn't have to go to a supermarket to get ingredients for dinner.


Tip
Eating vegetarian can be a good way of cutting the costs of a meal so I have decided to try and introduce more vegetarian meals to my family.  Unfortunately, my husband tends to expect meat with every meal (show me an Irishman who doesn't!) so I find that when I suggest adding a vegetarian option to the menu that it is usually meet with a 'what meat are we having with that' from him.  On Monday night he had no idea what he was having for dinner as the menu hadn't been prepared in advance, so couldn't protest at the lack of meat, so perhaps my plan for the future should be to just spring meat-free dishes on him!!  Fortunately for me, this dish was really tasty and filling, so he couldn't complain too much about the lack of meat.  If he did I think I would have told him how much it cost and pointed out that he could maybe have a nice steak some night soon with the money I saved!!



Alterations
As I was making this for two adults and one child, I used a bit less pasta, basil and peas than what the recipe suggests.  I used the full amount of red chilli, garlic and lemon zest suggested despite using less of the other ingredients and the result was a dish full of flavour.

Cost
This was quite a cheap dinner to make.  The basil was 40 cent, the pasta was 50 cent, the peas were 50 cent, the red chilli was 30 cent, the garlic was 20 cent and I am allowing 10 cent for the olive oil.  This means that the total cost of the dish is €2.

I haven't counted the lemon zest in the overall cost as I still have the lemons to use in another dish and didn't want to end up counting the cost of them twice.

No comments:

Post a Comment