Sunday 19 February 2012

Chicken and chorizo jambalaya

Last night I made the chicken and chorizo jambalaya recipe from the April 2011 issue of the good food magazine. 

The recipe requires Cajun seasoning.  I didn't have any Cajun seasoning so I used a teaspoon of hot chilli powder instead.  It has a few of the ingredients used to make Cajun seasoning in it and was the closest possible substitute I had in my kitchen.  I found that the 350ml of chicken stock was not enough to make the rice tender and I had to add a bit more water to it as it was cooking.

Chicken & chorizo jambalaya
Overall this was really easy to make and turned out really nice.  I feel that it took less time than the 55 minutes stated in the recipe to make and would be happy to make it during the week after getting home from work.  Next time I make it I'll add an extra pepper to increase the amount of vegetables being served.

TIP - This recipe is already low fat, but I decreased the amount of fat further by not adding the olive oil when cooking.  Instead, I cooked the chicken in a non-stick saute pan which is the only pan I had suitable for making the recipe as I don't own a frying pan with a lid. 

Cost - The two chicken breasts cost €2, the chorizo cost 75 cent, the red pepper was 95 cent, the can of peeled plum tomatoes was 67 cent, the rice was 30 cent, the onion was 28 cent and I am allowing 20 cent for the garlic, chilli powder and stock cube.  That makes the total cost of the recipe €5.15.  The recipe will easily serve 4 adults.  Leftovers would make a nice cold lunch with some salad leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment