Sunday 12 February 2012

Parsnip mash with apple

Parsnip mash with apple

For dinner today we had a roast beef dinner.  For veg sides I decide to try something different that we hadn't had before.  I picked parsnip mash with apple as parsnips and apples were on offer in Aldi this week and I had picked up some, so had all the ingredients in that I needed.  The other good thing about this side dish was that it was perfect to serve to the baby.

Instead of Bramley apples I used Granny Smiths as these were the apples I had.  I had no ground coriander in the house so just omitted it.  It went down well and I will definitely be making it again.

The rest of the dinner was delicious as well.  I served roast potatoes with the dinner which my husband made by peeling some potatoes and putting them on the roasting tray beside the beef in the oven.  At the end, when the beef was resting, the potatoes were put back in the oven to finish off.  They were delicious. 

For the baby I put a bit of the parsnip and apple mash, potato mash and some of the beef pulled apart. 

I had quite a few leftovers with this meal, so I prepared two containers of food for the baby and put them in the freezer.  The remaining parsnip and apple mash was put in a container and frozen while the mash potato was put in a tub and put in the fridge to be used for dinner tomorrow night.  My husband has declared that he is going to use the leftover beef for sandwiches later this evening - I shall try to convince him to leave them for lunch tomorrow instead.

Cost - This was quite an expensive meal, but when you consider all the leftovers it's no too bad.  My parents were visiting, so it feed 4 adults, one child, one baby and had quite a lot of leftovers.  The roast was eye of the round and it cost €13.99, the potatoes cost €1.50, the parsnip cost 74 cent, the apples cost 16 cent and the broccoli was 40 cent.  The total is €16.79.

No comments:

Post a Comment