Wednesday 22 February 2012

Sweet potato and easy chilli bake

Dinner this evening I made sweet potato and easy chilli bake - see the 'try' note at the bottom of the recipe to make the recipe into a bake. 

I opted to make the bake instead of just serving the roasted sweet potatoes with the chilli inside as I thought it might be easier to serve it to my children that way.  My daughter is not keen on sweet potato and I worried that if I served it to her with the chilli in it that she would just eat the chilli and leave the sweet potato.  With the bake she mixed it altogether and ate it all without question.  I served to to the baby the same way.  They both really enjoyed it and I have to say I enjoyed it myself.  Unfortunately my husband was out, so I didn't get any feedback from him on it.  Though, if I am honest I don't think he would have eaten any of it as he claims to hate sweet potato.  Perhaps if he had been here I would have had to mix it all together the same way my daughter did and give it to him that way!!

Anyway, to save myself some time I roasted the sweet potato last night.  TIP  - when roasting sweet potato avoid using a pizza tray.  In my haste to get my potatoes on last night I roasted them on the first oven tray I could put my hand to and it was a pizza tray.  Result - the sugar that oozed out of the sweet potatoes as they were roasting dripped through the holes in the tray and is now all over my oven.  So - that's oven cleaner for the shopping list this week :-(

The recipe is for 8, so I halved the ingredients.  I had loads left over so I froze the leftover chilli and made a portion for lunch tomorrow.  I didn't freeze the little bit of sweet potato I had left over as there was sour cream in it and I didn't think that the cream would freeze well.  Next time I'll make a bit less sweet potato as I had to throw a bit out. 

I used chilli powder instead of Cajun seasoning as I don't have any Cajun seasoning.

COST - The mince cost €3, the sweet potatoes were €2.74, the chilli was 40 cent, the onion was 28 cent, 400g tin of tomato is €1 and the can of kidney beans €1.09, making the total cost of the chilli €8.51!  Gulp!!  I think that it is safe to say that this might be the most expensive meal I had made to date.  Of course, some of it is in the freezer, so I have actually not spent that much on what we had for dinner this evening, it's more like half of that - €4.26, which sounds an awful lot better!

No comments:

Post a Comment