Friday 27 January 2012

Black bean and chorizo soup

Black bean & chorizo soup
At the start of the week I made a black bean and chorizo recipe from the Olive magazine in November 2010.

I have to say I give it a ten out of ten for taste!  I was a bit dubious about it as I have never cooked with black beans before.  Before Christmas I had got some dried black beans in for a different recipe that I never got round to making.  So I used them for this recipe. 

There was no cumin in my kitchen when I went to make the soup, so I just left it out.  Also, I couldn't find hot smoked paprika anywhere so just used ordinary hot paprika instead.  I have come across a few recipes that call for smoked paprika but I have never come across it in a shop.  If anyone knows where I could get this (in Ireland), then please post and let me know!  My mum has been on the look out for it for ages as well.

I doubled up the ingredients and managed to get 5 portions of soup for lunches out of the pot.  I think that this soup would also make a lovely hearty dinner.  Just serve with some bread.

TIP - Using dried beans instead of tins of beans can make the recipe a lot cheaper.  You need to remember to prepare them in advance though.  While off on maternity leave I say a brilliant tip from Rachel Ray for dried beans.  She suggested that you should rehydrate the beans, divide them into portions and then stick them freezer, ready for when you need them.  Then when a recipe calls for them, just take them out of the freezer and add them into the pot.  I haven't done this myself, but I think it's a brilliant idea and intend to do it in the future as it would be a real time saver.

Cost wise, I used 50 cent worth of chorizo, 2 peppers that cost 45 cent each, a red onion that cost 23 cent, a lime, which I think cost around 30 cent (my receipt has gone missing this week so I can not double check) and I will allow another 80 cent for the spices, vegetable stock cube, beans and 3 garlic cloves (this is just an estimate).  The total cost of the recipe was € 2.73.  That's 55 cent per portion.

No comments:

Post a Comment