Thursday 5 January 2012

Chorizo and bean salad with oven chips.

Cannellini bean salad with roast cherry tomatoes & chorizo
For dinner tonight we had a variation of the cannellini bean salad with roast cherry tomatoes and chorizo on the BBC Good food website.

When roasting the tomatoes I sprayed fry lite on them instead of drizzling them with olive oil.  I had no sherry vinegar in, so used white wine vinegar instead.  The taste was still good!

In the past I have used butter beans instead of cannellini beans as well.

Cost wise, this wasn't too expensive for me.  The chorizo is on offer at the moment at my local supermarket  and is €2 for 200g, so I used 50 cent worth of chorizo in this recipe.  The bag of lettuce leaves I used was lambs lettuce and rocket, which cost €1.09.  Cherry tomatoes were 89 cent and the cannellini beans (which I got a while ago) were €1.09.  I am allowing 30 cent for the red onion and another 20 cent for the squirt of fry lite, the white wine vinegar and honey.  This means that the total cost of the salad is €4.07.

I served this with a few oven chips.  To save on energy costs I roast the tomatoes while I am cooking the oven chips.  Doing this also means the salad is nice and warm.

The recipe easily feeds 2 adults and a child.  I could have stretched it further by putting on a few more chips and getting a lunch out of the salad for tomorrow, but having done this in the past I dont think it tastes as nice cold the next day.  If I was to keep some for a lunch in the future I think I would mix all the ingredients together, except the lettuce leaves, then lift out what I needed for the next day before adding the lettuce.  Then I would add the lettuce leaves before serving it for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment