Sunday 1 January 2012

Sharing herbs and spices

Recently I cleaned out my herb and spice jar section of my kitchen.  There were a LOT of jars that were unopened or practically full that had gone out of date.  This is the result adding herbs and spices to my shopping list as I come across recipes that require them.  Unfortunately, more often than not, I end up using said herb or spice once, if at all!  Bit of an expensive habit!!

My first task for 2012 will be to kick this habit.  I've dumped all the old herbs and spices, but kept the jars.  After talking to my mum and discovering she has the same bad habit, we've decided to do a spice/herb swap.  Each time we need to buy a new spice or herb we are going to check if the other has it in their cupboard.  If my mum has something I need she is going to pour some into one of her old jars and give it to me.  If mum doesn't have what I need, I'll add it to the shopping list and buy it (if possible I'll buy a refill box of it instead of a jar as I have loads of jars I can use as a result of my clear out).  When I get home I will pour half of the new spice/herb into one of my old jars, label it and give it to her.  She'll do the same each time she buys a new herb or spice.

We are hoping that by doing this we will save a little bit of money in 2012 and stop having to throw out nearly full jars of herbs/spices that have gone past their best.  It will also mean that we are putting the old jars we have to good use by reusing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment