Tuesday 31 January 2012

Productive day batch cooking baby food

Chicken Puree with Carrots & Apple

As I mentioned in my an earlier post today, I intended to do some batch cooking of baby food today in order to build up a stock of meals for the baby for evenings when I needed them.  I am trying to give my baby finger foods, as per Baby Led Weaning, but it is not always possible for me to offer the baby some of the food that we have each night so I wanted to have some standby meals in the freezer for these nights. 

From the Annabel Karmel website, I made four of the recipes listed for babies between 6 and 9 months.  We had salmon, broccoli and potatoes for dinner this evening, so I prepared some extra salmon and broccoli to use in some of the recipes for the baby food.  This saved me a bit of time and meant I could offer the baby what we were having for dinner, adding the cheese sauce from Annabel Karmel's recipe.

As I frequently offer my baby finger foods I didn't puree the recipes I made to a paste as my baby is used to chewing.  I left them with some chunks in them by blending them for a shorter length of time or mashing elements of them and mixing them into the rest of the food. 

TIP  When making the cheese sauce for the Salmon, broccoli and cheese sauce recipe, I made extra sauce for freezing.  I will use this sauce for mixing into vegetables, meat, potatoes and pasta that we have for dinner.  This cheese sauce is also good for using in lasagna.

I haven't worked out the cost of these meals, but I am confident that they are much cheaper than buying jars of baby food.  As well as this, I know for a fact that they taste nicer than the food that was in the jars I bought recently as I tasted each recipe and I tasted some of the food that was in the jars. 

1 comment:

  1. Yummy I will be checking out the annabel Karmel website for some recipes for my little one. Agree that its so much cheaper to make baby food and its lovely to know its pure and home made

    ReplyDelete